Wednesday, June 9, 2010

No. Don't Do That.

Callie asks:
I want a baby but my fiance doesn't want kids yet. I am ready! We're gonna do it sooner or later anyway and we already live together and have good jobs. We're both in our 20's, so it's not like we're very very young. How do I get him to see that it's not so scary to have a baby now? I think if it just happens, he'll be okay with it, but I don't want him to be mad at me if I were to tell him it's okay not to pull out on a night that it's possible for me to get preggo.

Callie, Callie, Callie. The idea of you procreating is scary to me, so I'm going to have to side with your fiance on this one. You are not ready yet, not by a long shot. For one, you aren't married. For another, your FI isn't ready, and for third, you current plan involves lying to him. "We're gonna do it sooner or later" is not a valid reason to do it now. When you're in your 20s, a couple years can make a big difference in both personality and maturity. You obviously have a lot of maturing left to do, and your fiance is right to want to wait for that to happen before bringing children into the world.

Shouldn't you be busy planning a wedding right now? Focus on getting down the aisle, then start thinking about kids. Living together and having good jobs are not the only qualifiers for being good parents. One big one that you're missing is that both partners should be ready and willing to accept children. Sure, accidents happen and people adapt. But what you're planning isn't an accident. It's deception, and it's a terrible way to start a family. You and your fiance have a lot to work on before you should even think about having children.

1 comment:

  1. You think he'll be OK with it, but you have no way of knowing. He just might dump you and move on.

    Even if he doesn't say so or leave you outright, he might suspect that you did it on purpose because he knows you want a baby (so I'd make sure to take extra precautions to NOT get pregnant). That kind of nagging doubt and resentment is like an infection that will fester until it becomes gangrenous and the limb needs to be severed (that limb is you sweetheart). You'll be out int the cold wondering why you were such a selfish dumb-ass.

    ReplyDelete