Saturday, June 12, 2010

Featuring "Nights In White Satin" And Other Great Hits!

Edmund Fitzgerald writes:

First of all, to the reader who had a problem with flies I would suggest a security door or screen door. That would let the air in and the keep the flies out.

Onto my question though: I recently proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes. We'll be marrying in February and all is great except for one thing: she doesn't like Gordon
Lightfoot. Even worse is that she doesn't like Christopher Cross either. I've known for a while that she doesn't like Cat Stevens and I've made peace with that and Christopher Cross isn't a big deal because she doesn't mind Ambrosia. But I don't know what to do about Gordon Lightfoot, I mean she even explicitly said that she doesn't like the song "Sundown" which is a friggin' great song. It's not a problem in our relationship or anything because we're solid as a rock. But how do I show her that Gordon Lightfoot is totally bad ass?

Edmund, thanks for helping our other reader. Now onto your problem.

While it might seem insurmountable to a young lad freshly in love, let me assure you that differing musical tastes are really not that big a deal. After all, married couples do need to have differing interests, and music can be one of those areas where divergence can only strengthen you. I can tell you that my own husband's irrational love of The Moody Blues has not contributed to any fights, and certainly would never be cited in divorce documents. I like to believe he feels the same about my unfortunate Britney Spears habit - though the fact that I can admit my taste is awful probably helps him along. I have to look past not only his bad taste, but also his insistence that it isn't bad taste.

As long as you two can agree on what to play in the car on long trips, I'm sure you'll be fine. Perhaps you two could contribute to a shared station on Pandora radio, and by combining your tastes, come up with some songs and artists that you'll both enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment