Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Don't Talk to Strangers

Karen asks:

is it weird that if someone smells good I tell them so, and ask for their scent or soap? Usually if I approach a stranger I have never met on line in a store for instance or on the bus, they think I am weird. I just think it's a compliment when someone smells good! Is it rude? Should I stop?


It's not rude, per se, but it is weird, and yes, you should stop. Most people on the bus or at the store don't want anyone to talk to them about anything, so always err on the side of keeping your mouth shut.


Personal aroma is a private thing, and while many people go to great lengths to make sure they smell pleasing, it doesn't necessarily mean they want you to notice. It's one thing to make a comment to a close friend or significant other, but strangers? Really? Commenting on someone's scent implies an invasion of personal space. Perfume, lotion and soap used correctly should not have scents strong enough to be smelled outside of a few feet. When a person can be smelled from a distance, it's usually not a good thing.


So take a step back, and keep your thoughts to yourself.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your advice! I have a coworker who regularly comments on my perfume...and I don't wear any. I use lotion, but it doesn't smell strong and then I get creeped out because I don't know what she's smelling. My shampoo? My laundry detergent? My pheromones??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAME!! If people get offended when someone compliments their perfume, then why are they wearing such strong perfume to begin with?? You don't wear perfume unless you want other people to notice, because eventually you become immune to the smell you are giving off. This is why so many people walk around smelling like an armpit.

    And A, sometimes people comment on a scent because they don't like it and there is no way to say so. Ask what the smell smells like so you can see what it is they are smelling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anon, you've hit on my point exactly. If you can smell someone's perfume from a distance that's not extremely personal, then they're wearing too much.

    Karen thinks she's complimenting people on their perfume, but what she's actually saying is either a) "Wow, I can smell you from here." or b) "I'm standing inappropriately close to you and would like to continue doing so." Neither one of these are pleasant things to hear from a stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who ever said the OP can spell the strangers from a distance? If you're waiting on line behind someone, it's easy to "invade their personal space" and smell them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Franny (corrected)June 24, 2010 at 11:17 AM

    Excuse the typo, *SMELL* the strangers from a distance. Not spell. SORRY!

    In any case, maybe it's not the compliment, but the delivery. If you like someone's shoes and want to perhaps know where you can get a smiliar pair, how do you know until you ask? Same with perfume. I think it's weird to use scents and become offended if someone tells you that they like the smell.

    ReplyDelete