Sunday, June 13, 2010

Where's Snow White When You Need Her?

Doc writes:

I am so stressed due to work and the house being a mess all the time and my hubby just keeps telling me to relax because it's not hard to keep a clean house. Also, he doesn't help a lot because he goes to school at night after work but it's a voluntary class he takes by choice for a hobby he has, he wants to learn better creative writing. So he tells me I need to do more but I also work and have to travel for work several days out of the week. HELP!!!

Two words: Chore. Chart.

You two obviously have different personalities, and what bothers you doesn't necessarily bother him. But there are chores that need to be done regardless, and it sounds like you're both very busy. I think a chore chart is the perfect solution.

Write down all the chores that need to be done on a weekly basis. Take a look at your and your husband's schedules and preferences and assign each chore a day of the week to be done, and a person to do it. Daily chores should be assigned by whoever's home that day to do them. Write all this on a calendar, tack it to the fridge or your home message-board, et voila! You have an easy-to-follow schedule, and every chore is completed on time.

You can also look into home cleaning and organization techniques, a la The FlyLady. Just Google "organization" or type "cleaning" into Amazon.com, and I'm sure you'll find a plethora of helpful books and systems.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment