Sunday, June 13, 2010

Head, Meet Wall

From our favorite correspondent!

Actually, I did articulate why I did not like them together. If you agree or disagree is one thing, but you're more intent on name calling. Sorry, sure it's your blog and you can say what you want but your advice doesn't come off as legit when your argument is "you're just jealous" or "you're a bitch". Who does that help? If this blog is meant for just entertainment, FINE. But if this is an advice column, how does that convince someone to listen to what you have to say?

Anyway, this is my reasoning. (AGAIN, you don't have to agree with my opinion, because I wasn't asking for that. I was asking for advice on how to tell them to slow things down. And yeah, they may be thinking of becoming sexually active, but I have no idea.)

"I think 15 is too young to spend every day with a boyfriend, and it's especially young to have to deal with a boyfriend who has a troubled home life. If my parents want to help him, that is their decision. She's not going to be with this kid forever, and when she does break up with him he'll be heartbroken. "


I'd like to point out that she did not let us in on her little "He'll be heartbroken!" reason for meddling until her second letter to us. Just as a point of fact.

And then another!

I would also like to know how worrying about my younger sister's well being makes me sound jealous.

If this is an advice column, hows about giving me tips on how NOT to be jealous, if that's what you actually think?

I don't think you people have younger isters or brothers so maybe you have no idea what it's like to worry about them. Or maybe you had troubled home lives and got immediately defensive when someone said it's not their problem!


While it's true that Christy and Kate don't have any younger "isters", Kate has three younger brothers, and Christy has three brothers and a sister. We do worry for our siblings - just not when they're being typical teenagers, and certainly not when our parents are in the home to oversee their upbringing.

That's the point I think you missed: You are not your sister's parent. It is not up to you to tell her how to live her life, or that she should kick this kid to the curb because you think they're too close. Her parents are alive, and well, and observing the situation firsthand. It is up to them to parent her, not up to you.

As for being jealous, well, perhaps if you focused more on your own life than on hers, you wouldn't have time to notice what she's up to and form an opinion on it. Try some new activities, make some new friends, take up a new hobby. (Preferably something calming, like knitting.)

Or, we can just give you the advice you want: Call up your sister and tell her that being with this kid is a terrible mistake, and she should dump him right now.

We'll be waiting for your follow-up letter asking why she eloped with him.

2 comments:

  1. "I'd like to point out that she did not let us in on her little 'He'll be heartbroken!' reason for meddling until her second letter to us. Just as a point of fact."

    ACTUALLY I did, so if you scroll to the very first letter from me you'll see that I did inform you. CONVENIENTLY you never posted my follow up to explain, nor did you retract your incorrect statement. I have to now check to see if you also edited my first note question so people will think I am crazy so you don't have to own up to your error. Thanks for the advice, even though you judged me before even reading my question. I claim this because you failed to see that I DID write something you lied and said I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh for Heaven's sake. We have never edited a single letter that's come in, except to occasionally correct spelling and grammar mistakes.

    We've posted all of your follow-ups except for your very last letter, simply because we wanted to put the matter to rest. Your last letter states pretty much exactly what you say here.

    Look back at ALL of your emails, Hater. You didn't say "he'll be heartbroken" until the second one, and you quoted it in the third. Furthermore, your first letter expressed absolutely no compassion for the boy.

    If you don't like our advice, fine. But we stand by it. Accusing us of doctoring your notes to fit our agenda is uncalled-for. Everyone else who's written in knows that we publish their letters verbatim, and we do not have to answer to you.

    ReplyDelete