Friday, June 11, 2010

Free Coffee! Oh, Wait....

Cassie writes:

I bought coffee and donuts this morning and did not notice on my receipt that they forgot to charge me for my coffee until I got to my desk. Is it wrong that I did not go back and pay for my coffee, should I to clear my conscience?

I think if you swing by the coffee shop tomorrow with your receipt and offer to pay, it would be appropriate. If you're a regular, the barista may simply have decided to give you a freebie - a pretty common practice among service personnel, actually. If that was the case, she'll probably not take your money, but she will appreciate that you're an honest person. If it wasn't the case, then you've done the right thing, and your conscience can be cleared.

Either way, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Mistakes happen to all of us. Rectify it if you can, but don't fret if you can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment