Friday, June 4, 2010

Quickies

Two quick answers to short questions. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Jennifer writes:

I was invited to a wedding out-of-town, due to budget we cannot go. I sent my regrets along with a brief note. Is it bad if I don't send a gift? Money is tight, so to me a card is sufficient, but it's a first cousin and I don't want them to think I am being cheap.


A gift is just that: a gift. It is neither an obligation nor a requirement, and therefore, no, it is not necessary to send one. If your financial situation will improve within the next year, however, it is considered perfectly appropriate to send a wedding present at any time in the couple's first year of marriage, so you can always send one in a few months.

*                                                            *                                     *


Salivary Gland (ew) writes:


Horseflys. I hate them. I like to keep the windows opened during the warm weather because of the fresh air business. But it lets the flies in! They only live for a week or two, so relief is in sight. I look forward to their little fly deaths. But is there a way to get rid of them without resorting to hanging fly paper as if it's a baby's first birthday? Fly paper is not a crepe paper streamer.


A quick Google perusal gave me several links to commercially produced fly repellents, and also a myriad of natural remedies. Lavender, citronella, pennyroyal, eucalyptus, lemongrass, and peppermint oils are all prescribed to combat flies; WikiHow has a step-by-step process listed for making a fly repellent, and this article from Equine World UK describes a couple of different products and natural remedies. Good luck and keep us posted about what works!

No comments:

Post a Comment