Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rapunzel, Rapunzel!

Sallie asks:

I have long hair. If I leave it down, it gets tangles at the nape of my neck. if I wear it up, it looks like I am going to work out. Any advice on how to leave my long hair down without it turning into a rat's nest underneath my beautiful locks?

I, too, have easily-tangled hair: it's very fine, and it seems even looking at it wrong can cause a knot. I also used to wear mine long - down to my waist - and I would just have my dad or my roommate trim the ends to keep it from getting too scraggly.

You don't say if you have an actual style to your hair, Sallie, but once I cut mine and had some layering added in, the tangling problems were much, much less, even when I wore it down.

If getting a cut-and-style isn't an option for you, there are plenty of ways to wear your hair besides ponytails and hanging loose. Google "long hair styles" or "long hair braids" and you'll find a ton of sites, many with instructions. My go-to hairstyle when it was long was a French braid updo: I parted my hair in the middle, made two French braids, and coiled the ends against my scalp, holding everything together with decorative hair clips. You can learn to do a modified French twist with a big hair claw; barrettes can be employed to decorative and practical effect. A little spritz of hairspray to finish it off, or a quick dollop of mousse beforehand, will keep everything in its place.

Failing all that, you might want to look into leave-in conditioners. Leaving it in your hair will discourage tangling and make brushing it out easier. And keep a wide-toothed comb in your purse for quick touch-ups whenever you have to use the ladies' room.

Good luck with your luscious locks!

No comments:

Post a Comment