Wednesday, June 2, 2010

This Is Not The Dish You're Looking For

Just Wants To Eat writes:

I work with a fairly close group of people. In general, I like them. There is one woman I work with who is obsessed with food. I can appreciate that being a bit of a foodie myself.

What drives me crazy is that this woman insists on examining, asking about and even sniffing my food. I've tried to ask her nicely not to, I've tried being a bitch about it, I've tried being assertive about it and nothing gets through to her.

How do I get her to let me eat in peace?

Ugh. These people are awful. I'm always tempted to ask if I can see the statute that made them Supreme Mugwump of All Things Edible. I don't, because I'm polite, but sometimes it's a struggle.

I have two suggestions: Ignore her completely, or be a broken record.

The first method works because you just do not engage. When she asks, don't answer. When she moves near you to see or smell your food, walk away. When she follows you, keep walking. If you can, shut a door in her face.

The second method makes you an ungratifying automaton. "What are you eating?"

"It's none of your business."

"Is it tasty?"

"It's none of your business."

"Can I smell it?"

"It's none of your business."

If she's not getting any reaction - but especially if you're also walking away from her and not letting her see the food - she should give up. You can substitute any polite phrase, as well; "Please don't bother me" or "I'm on my lunch break" or "I'm leaving now" should all have the same effect.

And if neither of these works, try the Force. Trust me. This is the advice you're looking for.

3 comments:

  1. Please add a "kick her in the taco" tag. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When nice doesn't work, being NOT nice might. Some people don't take a hint. SO STOP GIVING THEM LITTLE HINTS. Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Think about this quote for a second and ask yourself, does this quote apply?

    ReplyDelete