Monday, July 26, 2010

Just Cause

Stretched-too-far writes:

A few years ago I casually signed up for a volunteer position that I thought would take a few hours per month.  Little did I know that this would turn into a part-time job every summer.  The past two years I struggled through thinking that once we could get a few more volunteers, my work load would decrease.  This year we finally have more volunteers but it hasn't been better at all.  Now I have lots of work to do and lots of volunteers that mess up, don't do their jobs and make my job more difficult.

I don't enjoy this volunteer job and although it is a very worthy cause, I am not very passionate about the charity I'm helping.  I find myself resenting all of the hours that I put into it.

So what is your advice?  Should I quit?  If I do, how do I break the news?  I can't help but feel like a big baby when this is such a worthy cause.


It sounds to me like your kindness is being taken advantage of. At the very least you've been going above and beyond for over two years and should feel no guilt about moving on. As a volunteer, you owe this charity no more than what you're willing to give them. Worthy cause or not, if you feel like your time would be better spent on something else, then you're well within your rights to quit.

It's not easy to walk away from something like this. You don't want to feel like a quitter, and you don't want to disappoint the people who really are passionate about this cause. But think about it this way: the cause deserves your best, and if you're unhappy with what you're doing, then your best isn't what they're getting.

Is there anything else you can do to stay involved to a lesser degree? Perhaps you could offer to work a specific annual event, or you could decide that instead of giving your time you'll increase your financial contribution. See if there's a way to stay involved without wearing yourself out.

As far as breaking the news, you just have to be direct. Talk to the charity director or whomever you report to in person, and tell them that due to personal commitments you'll no longer be able to work for them in the same capacity. Have a specific end date in mind; agreeing to stay on until they find a replacement gives them little motivation to find someone. You may want to offer your services for a smaller, lower stress position, or to let them know they can keep you on their mailing list. Letting them know you still support the cause will go a long way toward not burning a bridge.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment