Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Things You Never Think About

Sneezy asks:

Why is it that facial tissue manufacturers are constantly changing their box designs.  Sometimes I find a box that I think is especially pretty or that fits my bathroom decor especially well and all I can do is buy what they have on the shelf at that time.  The same box is never, ever, there if I come back in a month needing more.  Is tissue box designer a job with very high turnover?

Unfortunately, I don't really have an answer for you. I couldn't find any job postings online for tissue box designers, so either the turnover isn't that high or it's one of those niche fields that you have to know someone to get into. I imagine that if you're employed full time as a tissue box designer, though, that you'd want to come up with as many designs as possible to convince the company to keep paying you.

The last time I bought tissues it was a huge case from Costco. I think they've lasted us about a year. The designs on those boxes are all similar but in different colors, so I use specific colors for different rooms in the house. I suppose going with the discount brands could solve your problem, since they don't spend as much money on box design, the pattern turnaround is probably slower, and buying in large quantities of course means lots of a particular design.

Alternatively, a quick google search revealed that you can special order custom designed tissue boxes from Kleenex. Sadly, the design program runs on Windows, and I have a Mac, so I can't vouch for how well it works. The service is pricey--$4.99 per box--but if you're very concerned about your tissues matching your decor, you may find this worth it.

Finally, you could invest in a tissue box cover. Then it doesn't matter what the tissues look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment