Friday, July 23, 2010

The Brideslaves

Meredithe writes:

I am getting married in February 2011 and want to know the best way to start scheduling my bridesmaid meetings. We need to discuss the dresses I picked out, their fittings, the days they are available to help assemble my favors of chocolates in a small box with tulle and jordan amonds, and then also to coordinate their hair. As you can see, there will be a lot to discuss. Mass email is so impersonal. I have 8 bridesmaids, and calling them on a conference call is one way. Another idea I had was to send newsletters with an RSVP date so they can let me know if a specific date works for them. Any good ideas?


Let me get this straight. These are your friends; the eight women you feel closest to, whom you can't imagine getting married without, and you want to put them to work? Is assembling favors some kind of an honor now?

There are three appropriate bridesmaids' "meetings": A shopping trip to pick out the dress, a luncheon--paid for by you--to thank them for standing up for you, and the wedding itself. All three are easily arranged through whatever mode of communication you usually use to speak with them. They can arrange dress fittings on their own. You may offer to make them hair, nail or makeup appointments at the same time you make your own, but it's not a requirement.

If they offer further help, you may mention that you have these favors to put together, and offer to provide wine and leftover chocolate if they provide their bow-tying skills for a couple hours. But you can't demand that they do your bitch work for you under the guise of an honor.

You chose these women because you love them and respect them. So treat them that way. It's a wedding, not a business arrangement. Don't lose sight of the fact that the most important thing is that you end the day married with the full support of those closest to you.

2 comments:

  1. THANKS!!! But you never answered the question. What would be the best way to get them all together to discuss things like fittings and hair? Should I call them on a conference call? Should I send a formal invitation with an RSVP date because I know their time is precious? Or should I call each one individually and try and hope that I don't have to call and call and call to arrange these meetings according to all of their busy lives??? I just needed to know what might be easiest. But thanks for the information as you are certainly entitled to your opinion!!! -Meredithe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since fittings and hair don't need to be done as a group, you can speak to them each individually. If you're worried about wasting your precious time, send an email to the group.

    ReplyDelete