Friday, October 22, 2010

Workplace Discrimination

Hush writes:

I think my boss is discriminating against people who are native Spanish-speakers. We work in food service. The company just hired a new floor manager, He already moved one of the ESL workers to the back of the house instead of her original hostess position. He also made a comment to another worker that one of the Spanish cocktail servers are not the right fit for the look of the restaurant. He then complained that another Spanish speaking coworker frustrates him because his accent sometimes makes him hard to understand. These are not people who are disciplinary problems, because if they were they'd not be working here. What can I do at this point now that I see a pattern? And how does this new guy know I'M not Spanish? SO far he seems to trust my abilities and often asks me to cover the cocktail hours, but I don't think it's fair to the people who have been there longer. But since he is my boss and people have hired him to do this job, I am sure they have confidence in him. So maybe I'm wrong?

First, don't assume this man is above reproach just because he got hired for the job. There are plenty of bad managers, and plenty of bigots that work their way into positions of power. "Do you think Hispanic people should be allowed to work the front of the house" isn't a typical interview question. Based on the information you've provided, I think it's safe to say your new boss is exhibiting an ethnic bias, and this isn't a behavior that should be allowed to continue.

That said, this is an accusation that could potentially cost your boss his job, and it should not be made lightly. 

Pay attention the next few times you're at work, and try to document every time he disciplines or makes comments about an employee's behavior. You have to be sure that he's treating the Hispanic employees differently and that he's not just and equal opportunity asshole. I'm not saying you need to walk around with a tape recorder in your pocket--in fact, don't. Just jot down a note when you notice him complaining about or mistreating someone.

Also find out if whether or not you're alone in this observation. In my experience restaurant employees like to gossip, so if you can avoid it, don't bring your suspicions up. Just wait for someone else to mention it. Regardless of whether or not he's acting intentionally, if employees are troubled by his behavior, it constitutes harassment. Finding out if others share your feelings is a good gauge of whether or not you're overreacting.

When you're ready to take action, do a little research. If you work for a large chain or franchise, the corporate office will likely have a hotline you can call to report abuse. If it's a privately owned restaurant, you may need to find a way to speak with the owner.

4 comments:

  1. I dunno - since when is being frustrated over not understanding someone a discriminatory act? Could the hostess communicate well? I think I'd need more definitive examples of actual bias to conclude this guy's got a hate-on for a subset of the staff.

    I agree to keep an eye on him, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Hush may own a Jumping To Conclusions Mat, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has not gotten jobs before because males with long hair were not appropriate for the position I would have to say that what he's doing sounds normal. If a person can't understand a waiter, they won't order as much and the tickets will go down. It's not discrimination, it's business. This is not only applicable to spanish speakers; people who speak too softly, people with stutters and other groups equally apply.

    If there's any way that you can find out other waiters' average tickets it might be nice to find out if he's pulling people from the floor for not producing (regardless of the reason) or if he really is a racist and is putting you on the floor instead of an ESL waiter who makes the company more money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To send a letter in, you have to use a valid email and reply with a verification code. this is fine, but then your name hyperlinks with the email. even if only the WYPF people see it, I really didn't want to share my emailbecause it takes away my anonimity. I hope it gets fixed, I had a question to submit but can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father died about ten years ago due to a workplace accident and my mother recieved a large sum of money as compensation. As a stipulation of the compensation, a portion of the money was supposed to be given to my dad's children. This was due to legalities and paperwork because he did not have a proper will. So my mother gave each of her children their money, including me. I did not want to be tempted to spend the money so I asked my mom to hold my money inher account until I needed it. About a year ago, my mother ran into some money problems. She does not work and spent the entire amount of the compensation to pay back lawyers and back taxes. She told me she used the money she was supposed to give to me towards some bills. She did not ask, she just took it. I am angry because I am just starting out and could use thatmoney, whoch was about $5000. She said she will eventually pay me back, but I can't see how I'll ever get that money because she doesn't work and has no way to save. Shoul I ask her to put a bullet point in her will that when she leaves behind her belongings, I am entitled to $5000 more than any of my siblings? I don't want to take my mother to court, but I lost my dad also and I should get that money since it was mine she stole. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete