Friday, October 15, 2010

Management 101

Kip writes:

I don't know what to do. I am a manager and I get great reviews at work. I have a wonderful rapport with the group of people I work with. lately work has been stressful. I have an assistant who is rarely reliable, and who manages to slip under the radar by making other people catch her mistakes so she won't feel the heat. It is to the point that my immediate superior is not confident in her abilities. However, they cannot let her go because there's never been any documentation of her mistakes. SO now I feel like the burden of the department is on my shoulders because this one is unreliable, and I am working long hours to make up for the job she's not doing. I am afraid to say anything because management positions in my field are hard to come by, and I am scared they will fire me for not being flexible. I've been asked to change my shift at the last minute, sometimes being told to go home and come back later, because the assistant cannot be relied on to get things right. Should I just be happy they have confidence in me, or do I have the right to tell them I can't do these long hours anymore? I can't find anywhere that lets me know my rights as a worker in the United States.

Well, Kip, it's time to manage. This isn't about your rights as a worker, it's about your ability to get your team to perform. Think of the confidence your supervisor will have--and the job security you'll gain--if you can take this unreliable employee and turn her into a success.

This means that instead of covering for your assistant, you need to start holding her accountable for her mistakes. Just because nothing has been documented before doesn't mean you can't start. Let her know  her work has been unsatisfactory--and don't wait until review time to do it. I'm a strong believer that performance ratings should not be a surprise. If this woman is used to having other people pick up her slack, and hasn't been reprimanded before, she may not even realize how little confidence in her you have. Provide her with specific items to improve on, and a means to measure success.

I'm going to guess that other employees in your office don't particularly enjoy being thrown under the bus, so it shouldn't be difficult to convince them to stop taking falls.

Just keep in mind that your ultimate goal is to make this assistant a good employee, NOT to get her fired. Sure, if her performance doesn't turn around, you'll now have the documentation necessary to terminate her, but as a manager, the better your employees look, the better you look. Getting rid of her fixes the short term problem, but doesn't guarantee that her replacement will be better. On the other hand, helping her improve will win you both a lot of professional respect.

Tread carefully, as people don't like to be told they're doing a bad job. Frame your requests and your criticism wrong, and she's not going to be motivated to do better. In fact, she may end up doing worse. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks - This is Kip - The problem is that I am not her immediate superior and I have no authority over her to write her up. When I say assistant, I mean my counterpart in my department. We're actually equals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for misunderstanding the issue, Kip. Perhaps your should surreptitiously direct your boss to this blog.

    Seriously though, I still think it's a good idea to document the problems you're having. Just make sure that everything that's assigned to her is in writing, and hold on to emails that demonstrate her failures. This way in the future her managers will have the information they need to take disciplinary action. You also want to make sure that you don't end up taking falls for her mistakes.

    I would talk to your boss and let him know that all the time you're spending on work that should be your counterpart's responsibility could potentially affect your performance or productivity, and you don't want that to happen. Just be sure to regularly demonstrate that you're out-performing her, and hopefully the situation will take care of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, duly noted. My apologies for not clarifying better in the original letter, it was my error.

    ReplyDelete